Friday, November 03, 2006

WIP Wednesday...a little late

I am a little late with the WIP Wednesday. This week, I decided to learn to knit. I spend a lot of time at soccer games, swim practices, swim meets, PTA meetings, etc. Since my quilting is pretty much done by machine, and I really did not enjoy my short foray into crazy quilting, quilting is just not portable for me. Knitting, on the other hand, looks very portable.

On Tuesday, my best friend called to see if I wanted an outing to our favorite french fry place, Five Guys Burgers. These are great french fries. They are almost as good as Boardwalk Fries, for those of you who live in the Maryland area. (My husband assures me that they are not quite as good as Boardwalk, and it is not just the nostalgia factor influencing my opinion.) On the way, we needed to stop by a knitting store, Cast-On Cottage in Roswell, Georgia, so she could return a skein of yarn and pick up another one. Well, I fell in love with the yarn selection. Who knew there were these awesome fibers out there? (I am sure everyone but me knew.) So I got a book called Knitting Basics and a skein of sock yarn. But, I cannot knit socks, yet. So, my wonderful friend gave me a ball of yarn and some needles, and I have been playing. Here is what I have accomplished.

I know it isn't perfect. Heck, it isn't even very good. But I did it. And it was fun. And I am going to continue and get better. And I like it better than crazy quilting.

In other news... I am wearing my skinny jeans today. It feels pretty good. I may put on my new boots later, if we go out to eat.

One more note on Maryland food. (I think I am homesick right now. Anyone want to go to the Columbia Mall with me?) Ledo's Pizza. I agree with Oprah's friend Gayle on this one. She said it was the best in America. I love Ledo's Pizza. And they have now franchised, and the franchise pizza is as good. So if you are in Maryland, go have some Boardwalk Fries and some Ledo's Pizza, not together though, and think of me. Oh, and hit Holly's for some crab cake sandwiches. Ok, I am going to go eat some Halloween candy.

7 comments:

My Brain on Quilts said...

Knitting? Knitting?!? Can I commission you to knit some pieces for me for a quilt? My mom tried to teach me to knit this winter. I couldn't get the # of stitches right. too many, so I tried to catch a few the next row, ended up with 12 extra. But the yarn is lovely couching material!

Congrats on the skinny jeans. I can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed with 4 kids including a brand new baby you have any time to do anything! You must be Wonder Woman!

Mary Johnson said...

I happened upon your blog from a comment you left on Amy's blog. I was reading your entries when I realized that you must live somewhat near me in Georgia. I'm also in Marietta - less than 2 miles from Tiny Stitches.

Congratulations on the new baby and enjoy the knitting. Quilting is my main occupation but I love knitting especially when I travel - there's nothing easier than throwing some yarn and needles in a bag and going.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting into your skinny jeans! That must feel real good! Woohoo!

I'll go out for pizza with you. Everybody knows you can't get decent pizza in California. You definitely can't get it on the central coast.

Oh yeah, there are some drop-dead gorgeous yarns out there. I never understood knitting. I tried crocheting, but I just don't do well with fine-motor skills. I would need a huge crochet hook that you might give a kid.

I agree that knitting might be the porta-craft for you. I have watched women make beautiful things with tiny needles and it just blows my mind.

Anonymous said...

Skinny jeans! Way to go, Momma!

DebbyMc said...

WooHoo on the jeans!! =-) I am learning to knit right now, too...I think your stitches look great! And on circular needles already...That's what I'm working with this week...Are we having fun yet??? =-)

Anonymous said...

My hubby & I only eat Ledo's!

Boardwalk fries are only for Ocean City though.

We have a couple 5 guys, but I have yet to try them out...

My new mantra "I can not take up knitting."