Saturday, January 14, 2006

More on my Journal Quilt

I have the ocean appliqued down now. I used hand applique because I have a mental block against machine applique. Not that I am some sort of purist who thinks applique should only be done by hand. I have a personal block against it. I have actually tried machine applique a few times. I should take a class or buy a book. If anyone has any machine applique book suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I actually had a fun time doing the ocean. Next comes the mountain. I plan to do that during the Redskins' game this afternoon. I have not yet figured out how to do the trees, but I guess I had better hurry since it is due next Saturday. I am thinking of doing the Julies like paper dolls. I was thinking of using Timtex to make little people and then fusing fabric on them to dress them. I am going to try to find some fish buttons this week and perhaps some bird buttons, too. I have never added buttons, or beads or any sort of embellishment like that to a quilt, and I think it is high time I started.

Becky in Suriname completed her January Journal Quilt, and it is wonderful. I love the thread painting and want to try that myself someday.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm a big fan of raw edge applique especially on small studies. I, too, would like to learn a few new tricks but I'm afraid I won't have the discipline.

Rian said...

The Timtex dolls are a great idea. It sound like you are having a lot of fun with this one.