Thursday, January 26, 2006

Discharge Dying


I decided yesterday to try discharge dying. I don't know why I suddenly wanted to try it, but I did. I was thinking of using it in the first Art Image Challenge of the year. I had a Clorox Bleach Pen that I was going to use to do the bathroom floor, but then I didn't need it. So I pulled out a bunch of different fabrics. I did a wet and a dry sample of each. Then, while they were bleaching, I thought I would do some research. It turns out, I needed something called anti-chlor to make the bleaching process stop and keep my fabric from getting brittle. So I ordered it from Dharma Trading Company. (While on the website, I ordered some DynaFlow paints, too, like Jenny used in her first journal piece...) I rinsed them in water after I was done bleaching, and then threw them in the dryer.

I am not displeased with the results. My technique needs a little refining. Having the fabric wet kept the bleach from bleeding a lot. I think I will try using contact paper as a mask and spraying the bleach, too. But, I definately see how this could work into my first Art Image piece.

I look at the painting and see millions of individual snow crystals, all with hexagonal symmetry. I think that is what I am gong to explore for my piece. I have been researching snow crystals, and it is fascinating.

7 comments:

Granny Fran said...

Fantastic. Now I have anti chlor, dyna flo paints and a Clorox bleach pen added to my shopping list. Thanks for inspiring me, I think. I'm sure DH is thrilled that I need more supplies.

Rian said...

This should be dynamite, Jules!

sophie said...

While I'm obsessing about how snow sticks to trees and rails, you're researching ice crystals--it's interesting to see how we each are drawn to different aspects of that painting.

Scrapmaker said...

Hmm, I have a couple of Clorox bleach pens in the laundry room. Better get some Anti-Chlor! I think its great that you're exploring a theme here, and I like your results. Jen

Jenny Wren said...

Jules - Have great fun with your bleach and paint exploration -it's very addicting :) I saw a very interesting quilt top where the fabric had been black and the bleach discharge method was used. They tended to use very primative lines and shapes and it was very effective. The bleached areas turned a golden brown color. I haven't used the Dyna flo paints...I'm eager to hear of your experiences! (Don't forget to try gel glue resist too!)

Debra Spincic said...

I did some of the same kind of messing around with common products and started a thread on about.com in the surface design section. There are some links and discussions. I ended up using one of the fabrics I did as my Oct AIC background where I had used the clorox soft scrub on fern sponges. It was very delicate and I loved the results of the bleaching. I didn't do anything to set it but I did wash it thoroughly by hand & it's OK.

Pat/SWquilter said...

I bought myself a couple of bleach pens on an artist date in Target (?!) before Christmas, and ordered Dyna-Flo fabric paints last week when I ordered the fabric sheets for the printer that someone suggested from Dharma -- no anti-chlor yet though. Seems like there is always one (or many) more thing(s) I have to have, ya know?!