Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Teaching English/Language Arts

The Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) had four parts-- English/Language Arts (ELA,) Math, Social Studies, and Science. I am teaching the ELA and math reviews this week. We are teaching the kids to take notes and highlight while reading. I am addicted to annotating now. I can't read without a highlighter in hand. It is crazy.

Since I am going to see Fiddler on the Roof this weekend, I wanted to read some Russian history. So I borrowed a book from the AP World History teacher. I went to read it last night, but realized I couldn't highlight it. Today I copied the pages so I could annotate.

Our school's literacy coach thought that was pretty funny. However, she got very excited when I explained my multivariable calculus students were reading and annotating and generally working with Outliers this week.

So I have learned a lot from teaching English this week.

1 comment:

The Calico Cat said...

Taking notes - now there is a useful skill!