Sunday, March 14, 2010

Outliers

I am reading the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. I know, I am late to the party. Actually, I am reading it because I needed something independent for my multivariable calculus students to do this week while I am teaching graduation test review. It is a very interesting book, and I have had no problems coming up with activities for my class to do based on the boom.

However, I think what I am really learning from the book is that I need to work hard to give my kids every opportunity that I can. My kids are pretty smart, which helps, but will only take them so far. The opportunities we give them are also extremely important.

Another interesting idea I have gleaned from the book is how important little teaching moments are. These little teaching moments help kids learn to navigate in life, how to deal with people. Little things like how to talk to doctors and authority figures, how to "customize" your environment, all of these things need to be learned.

Anyway, I am not quite halfway through the book. I don't agree with everything he says. However, it has given me a lot of food for thought.

No comments: