Friday, July 06, 2007

Hope Piece Coming Along

I work so much better with a deadline! Here are the latest pictures of my Hope piece for the Fiber Art Fusion show.After tea dyeing the muslin for 24 hours, I dried and ironed it. I then fused it to some stiff craft interfacing. (I think it was Pellon weight 50.) I then cut out the tree using a little rotary cutter. That was harder than I thought it would be, mostly because I was afraid of cutting myself. I then sprayed spray baste all over the tree. I used 5 skeins of embroidery floss to embellish the tree. I couched it down using YLI clear thread. I really love that stuff.

Now I have to figure out how to attach the tree to the background. I also need to figure out a quilting scheme. I thought about just echo quilting around the tree. Then I thought about quilting words into the background. Anyway, no decision has been made, yet. I may quilt the names of the guys in my brother-in-law's unit.

Part of the challenge I have given myself with this quilt is to only use things I own to make it. So far, it has not been that difficult. I am also trying out new techniques. I really like how the embroidery floss on the tree looks.

3 comments:

sophie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sophie said...

(I deleted the previous comment because of typos!)

Something I learned in the Jane Sassaman workshop I attended in May is that you can use an Exacto knife to cut stiffened fabrics on a rotary mat. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Debra Spincic said...

What a good looking piece already!