Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Art Classes

I am signing my kindergartener up for an art class. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it. He is excited. The proceeds go to a good cause, the school foundation which pays for us to have an extra art teacher. I do hope the art teacher makes some money, because I am sure we don't pay her enough to begin with.

So what is your take on art classes? I never took an art class in my life. I did take piano lessons, ballet lessons, viola lessons, acting classes, etc. Are art classes similar?

(And I know some of you are thinking I was one of those overscheduled kids. I was not. My folks kept us busy. It was their keep us off drugs program, I am sure. However, at no time were we stressed out about all we were doing. It was a lot of fun.)

3 comments:

Rian said...

I took lots and lots of art classes as a young'un. I think they were worthwhile. But then my folks paid the bill.

Besides, it's for a good cause.

I wouldn't say they are the same as piano or ballet. Those you have to practice.

Juliann in WA said...

I never took an art class either but as an early childhood educator, I think it is a great idea because kids need to have opportunities to be creative. Hope it is fun and messy!

Granny Fran said...

I think art lessons is a fantastic idea. I started my college studies to be an art teacher, but discovered that the kids and I would be better off if I did something else. However, I do remember that it is a good idea to get kids started before their innate creativity gets stifled. Just don't let them go to a teacher that teaches them to color in the lines and use only "natural" colors for landscape items, etc.