Monday, July 10, 2006

Tea With Betty Pillsbury

The tea with Betty Pillsbury was amazing. Her work is incredible. I was really inspired by her art. I learned some things that I am doing wrong. For example, I didn't make my block on a foundation. I am going to correct that by stitching around the edges on top of some muslin to give it a little more stability. Next time, I will know.

I went to Michael's this morning for some supplies. Here they are:



Here are my first attempts at embroidery.



I am going to work on it some more and add some beads. Dinner is of the crock pot variety. I am baking a whole free range chicken in the crock pot with some olive oil. Then a caesar salad. And strawberries with lady fingers for dessert. So that gives me time to work now, before we go to the pool to cool off.

8 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Nice selection of "stuff" to add to your block. (I think CQ has a big learning curve.)

How does that crock pot chicken work?

I ususally do low heat for a long time on mine...

250 degrees for 5 hours - thats about it...

Rian said...

Oooh, yummy stuff! I like that picture thing, too. Very nice. I need to jump on that Crock-pot bandwagon--I used to be good about planning meals, now I wait til last minute and it always backfires.

I agree with Amy~~caution, learning curve ahead! But unlike a big quilt, you can just pick it up whenever. Sounds like the perfect project for a busy mom in summer!

jenclair said...

Oh, how fun to take a class with someone you admire and then learn how to improve your own work.

Cool supplies. Know you'll have fun with them and with your newly acquired knowledge!

Deb Hardman said...

Nice neutrals. I have tried to do neutrals, but color always sneeks in. I've seen the most elegant rich & reserved crazy quilted Teddy bear done in neutrals, & a vest too. They were beautiful.

My Brain on Quilts said...

Is that a face stamp? How big is it? Wait I'm coming over to borrow it! Love the candy.

Jules said...

The face is a stamp. After Betty said she did her faces with stamps, I decided I could do that, too. Working on a mermaid now...

Jo in NZ said...

Love the colour scheme of your block. You have already been stash shopping, your hooked aren't you?

My one comment would be, don't be afraid to go big with your seam embellishment. As a sane quilter you are probably in the "smaller is better" mindset. If you are going to spend your time doing beautiful seam treaments, make sure they can be seen and enjoyed.
Look forward to watching your progress.

Kay said...

A crazy quilt in neutrals is very appealing to me. I like the way Rian's is looking, and yours in interesting too. Good luck.