Sunday, January 24, 2010

Left-handed


My youngest is left-handed. At first, I just figured he was ambidextrous, but, no, he is left handed. He does everything with his left hand. He is unique in our family. And I don't know how to teach him how to hold a pencil. Now, anyone who has seen me write in real life knows that I do not hold my pencil correctly. As much as my parents and teachers tried to get me to hold a pencil correctly, I just reverted back to my way of holding a pencil. I can write very neatly. I can write pretty quickly. But I don't hold my pencil in the normal fashion. And neither does my oldest child, who is right-handed. Sam, the youngest, still holds his crayons in his fist. I was just trying to convince him to try to hold it right, but he is just not interested. I don't remember ever teaching the other kids. Does anyone know anything about teaching kids to hold pencils correctly? Or even at what age they are supposed to do this task?

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Let me get back to you after we have walking & eating with utinsels (I know that is spelled incorrectly) figured out.

Kay said...

Call me a bad mom...I never even thought about this. My older son is left handed. I guess he learned on his own. I guess they both did :)