Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Couple of Days Off

After finishing my February journal quilt, I decided to take a couple of days off before starting my Artimage Challenge design in earnest. I actually have the design in my head. I just have to translate it to fabric. Probably should put it on a large piece of newsprint paper just to make sure I like it before starting with fabric.

I have mentioned in the past that I am fascinated with knitting. My reward for getting down to my healthy weight is to take a knitting class. Well, I have 8 more pounds to go. However, when I stopped in Michael's to get some supplies for my February JQ, I saw these crazy knitting looms.
My son's teacher has been busily making hats and scarves on one and the hats and scarves are adorable. Since they were on sale, I picked up a set. I made a cute little hat for my son. He loves it. It is totally mindless, although I am thinking of adding some design elements now. I just need to get more yarn.

I would post a picture of the hat, but we sold our big computer desk. So now I am at the kitchen desk and my printer/card reader/everything else machine does not fit. Later, I will put it on another machine that will share it with me. I just haven't gotten around to it.

So, did it satisfy my need for knitting? Not really, but I am having a blast with it. There are so many fun yard choices out there. It was easy, mindless, and my kids liked helping me. I went back today and got another set for my niece, and my friend who came with me got a set for her daughter. I think I will start another hat...

6 comments:

DebbyMc said...

Oh! I saw those at a fabric store a month or two ago and almost bought them...So, what else can be made on them??? Scarves, I'm sure..hmmm...maybe I better go back to that shop...there is a Michael's fairly nearby too...keep us posted on your creations!! =-)

Rian said...

How do they work?

Jules said...

You wrap yarn around each of the pegs. Then you wrap it around again. Then you use a hook and lift the bottom wrap off the peg to the back. That is the general stitch. I found a bunch of other stitches that you can do on the internet. People make all sorts of stuff on these. Now I am wanting a knitting board, which is a rectangular one.

DebbyMc said...

Rian, remember the spools we used to have when we were kids that you could "knit" ropes with?? It's the same thing only larger...of course, this dates us...=-)

Rian said...

Yeah, I remember those rope things. And your reference to a knitting board makes me remember those loom things we used to make potholders for our parents on. Remember those?

Debra Dixon said...

I used to use those potholder looms to explain weaving/fabric to my home ec students. We didn't use the fabric loops but made our own loops and came out with some pretty abstract looking small weavings. It was a lot of fun and very free. You could actually weave some "potholders" as squares then sew them together as a wonderfully textured wallhanging; even add some beads and shells dangling off it.